Tuesday 14 February 2023

Raukawa Lodge

 "Make 2023 your year of walking" implored the cover of one of many issues of Wilderness magazine scattered around my house. With this missive in mind, I decided on another quick jaunt into the Orongorongo.

It was dry and relatively warm when I set off just before 11am, despite ex-tropical cyclone Gabrielle making landfall in the upper North Island. 

It was a pleasant walk in, and about an hour later I arrived at the Orongorongo River.

The river was even lower and more sedate than last time I was here, so the idea of seeking out Raukawa Lodge popped into my head. Raukawa Lodge can be reached by crossing the river and heading up the washed out bed of Browns Creek and heading downstream just past TTC's Waerenga Hut. I'd also heard that the hut was visible from the river just downstream of Browns Creek.

After a quick refreshment break, I slowly wandered down the river bed, crossing the channels of water wherever it seemed the most opportune. Sure enough, a couple of minutes later I saw signs of a building and track markers just beyond the edge of the forest.

Raukawa is a cosy looking hut, one of the bookable sole-occupancy DOC huts in the Orongorongo valley. It's locked to those without a booking. There's also no accessible long drop - the (flush) toilet is inside, so if you find yourself in need of the facilities you'll be shit out of luck (pun intended).

By this point, ominous clouds were gathering over the valley, and wind was picking up. Thankfully it never came to anything, and the return walk passed by uneventfully.

Map:

Distance: 11.02 km (return)

No comments:

Post a Comment